Over the years, I have tried many ways to stick to the goals I make for myself. Sometimes my goals are easily attainable and sometimes they require a lot of work but they always require a lot of determination. The first few weeks are easy, I am on a mission and I need to achieve my goals and nothing can stop me and then life gets busy, things change, moments of I can just wait until tomorrow or today is a cheat day, or other similar thoughts creep in and throw me off my game.
It took me a few years to realize that it has nothing to do with my goals changing but me not being able to see the finish line. Being able to visualize the finish line, and see what I am working for is the difference between wishing my goal would be successful and achieving my goal. That's exactly why I find vision boards so important in every aspect of my life. I attended a Vision Board workshop with Mesa Studios in 2016 and it changed my world.
My vision boards are focused on my goals and focused on how I want to feel. I love to laugh, I firmly believe it is the best medicine and I never want to get so wrapped up in life that I forget to laugh, so that has a good section on my board. You see, vision boards shouldn't be focused on just material items that you want to own, and quite honestly I would try to limit putting any material items on your board except for maybe one or two, they should be focused on you, how you feel and the things that make you happy.
Once you've completed your vision board make sure you hang it somewhere you can see it every single day. You want your vision board to come to life, and for that to happen you need to be able to see it daily.
How To Create A Vision Board
1. Carefully think about your goals and write them all down on a piece of paper, it doesn't have to be fancy. No goal is too small. You can even take a few days to write this list, this is for you. Give yourself the time you need to come up with your list. Remember to think about how you want to feel, what makes you happy, and what you want to achieve.
2. Gather Supplies! Start with any board that you love, you can never go wrong with cork boards as they are easy to work with but you can also use glass, white board, poster board, etc. You will need tape, glue, stickers, pins, markers, and magazines. You could also use embellishments that you would find in the scrapbooking section at your local craft store. You will also want to think about what you want to include, if your list includes a trip somewhere maybe print off a photo to use on your board, use photos from your phone or camera and get those printed to use. Spend your time doing this now so you can spend an uninterrupted hour designing your vision board.
3. Create a peaceful environment where you can create, think, and dream. For me this includes lighting a few candles, turning off the TV and my phone, and pouring a glass of wine.
4. Piece together the photos, quotes, magazine inspiration, embellishments and create your board. Finish when you feel happy with the vision you have set for yourself.
5. Hang your board where you can see it every single day. The simple act of looking at it everyday will help you in reaching your goals, whatever they may be.
Tip: I've asked the Local Facebook Moms Groups for magazines before and SO many were willing to give me their magazines for free, it doesn't hurt to through out a little ISO post, if you are like me and don't subscribe to many magazines.